As we transition from autumn to winter, add these steps into your home maintenance routine!
- Make sure any firewood stored outdoors is at least 20 feet away from your home’s foundation.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper, and the space under the dryer.
- Familiarize responsible family members with the location and operation of the main gas valve and other appliance valves.
- Make sure all electrical holiday decorations have tight connections.
- Make sure that the caulking or weatherstripping around the windows and doors is adequate in order to keep down your heating and cooling costs.
- Make sure that the caulking around your bathroom fixtures is adequate to prevent water from seeping into the sub-flooring.
- Clean the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter.
- Test all GFCI devices.